I headed to Spain at the end of April for a work trip. Yes, I left Eric to fend for himself yet again, but he didn't break anything this time! I went to Europe all by my lonesome this trip (I'm all grown up)! Traveling by yourself has its ups and downs. I like having the freedom to do whatever I'm in the mood for, but it's not very fun sightseeing without someone else to share it with.
I left on Saturday and arrived in Madrid early Sunday morning. The flight to Madrid was completely full and, having only booked my flight a couple weeks earlier, I was stuck in a middle seat. Normally I sleep so easily on planes, but I could not fall asleep for the life of me. It really messed with my "flawless" sleep plan.
Sunday morning I took a cab to my hotel in Madrid and slept for a few hours. I didn't want to sleep too long because I still had to go back to bed that night. Plus, Sunday was my fun day and if I was going to see anything in Spain I had to get my butt out of bed. After asking the front desk where I should go, I took another cab to the city center. I absolutely loved my cab drivers. Just an FYI, cab drivers in Spain don't speak English but most of them try (just like I tried to speak Spanish). Attempting to communicate was one of the best parts of Spain. Eric will come in handy when we go back.
| Puerta del Sol |
| Is it just me, or does the Spain version of Mickey look really creepy? |
The city center is basically an area full of shops and restaurants. I don't like shopping by myself, so I was at a loss. I still walked around for a bit to get the "experience."
![]() |
| Lots and lots of pigs hanging from the ceiling |
I saw a lot of tourists taking pictures in front of this statue and I know I've seen the symbol some place before. It has to be important so of course I did what any smart tourist traveling by themselves would do -- I copied what everyone else was doing.
Any idea what the significance is?
It didn't take long for me to get bored wandering around by myself. I decided to take the advise of a co-worker and got on a tour bus. Apparently it's the fastest way to see a city when you are short of time.
| There's me! |
Now let me just tell you, I was running on a few hours of sleep and history was my least favorite subject in school. So...a tour bus to learn about all these historical sites in a country I didn't grow up learning about was good and bad. It was good because I was able to sit down and not have to think about where to go next. It was bad because I can't recall a thing that was said during the tour. Literally, I have no idea what I was looking at the entire two hours or so. It was pretty boring listening to a recorder explain a bunch of sites I was too tired to care about.
But the artist in me enjoyed the architecture!
Ooh, this is Christopher Columbus!! That's the only part I absorbed because I've actually heard of him :)
| I'm pretty sure this is a Palace of some sort. |
| Graffiti love. |
| Outdoor preaching? I guess it WAS a Sunday. |
| City view. |
I'll be honest, I wasn't a fan of Madrid. Having seen the architecture in London, Madrid seemed like just another European city to me. On Monday, I worked all day with Steve, the sales guy I support, and then we took a train 2 hours south to Valencia, then rented a car and drove another hour to a town called Denia. Now DENIA I could get used to. It's a small little tourist town and is so cute!!
This is the gorgeous ocean view I woke up to on Tuesday morning:
I loved looking in one direction and seeing blue water and turning the other direction to find beautiful mountains RIGHT THERE. It's not something you can get in the U.S. I definitely want to go back to Denia one day with Eric. Apparently this is a main European vacation spot. I can see why.
On Tuesday we went to a client site in Denia where I sat in on a meeting with the head honchos and toured the hospital. Then Steve and I drove an hour back to the train station (Steve only ALMOST drove on the wrong side of the road once), took the 2 hour train to Madrid, and hopped on a flight to London. BUSY BUSY!!





No comments:
Post a Comment